SEND Information

Involving Parents/Carers and Students

Parent/carers can contact school with any concerns about their child by telephoning, writing or coming into the office and requesting a meeting or speaking to staff at the start and end of the school day.

Parent/carers will be kept informed through home/school books/diaries, school reports and phone calls. Staff will contact parents/carers to discuss issues, concerns or progress of individual students as soon as additional need is identified.

We hold regular parent evenings for all parents/carers. If your child has special educational needs, parents/carers and the student are involved with regular termly review meetings to discuss progress towards current outcomes and setting outcomes for the future.

Annual Reviews are held for students with Single Plans or statements of special educational needs. These review focuses on achievements, the progress made towards the outcomes, support and future plans and is held with parents/carers, the student and any other agencies involved.

Progress reports can be provided to parents/carers in alternative formats if required.

Students are encouraged to share their aspirations and views in review meetings especially letting school know how they prefer to be supported.


There are a number of people in school who are responsible for special educational needs in school:

The Headteacher is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including support for students with SEN.
  • Making sure that your child’s needs are met but they will give this responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers.
  • Making sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN.

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEN Policy to make sure all students get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that parents/carers are:
    • involved in supporting their child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support their child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
    • involved in planning for their future
  • Contacting other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning for example, an Educational Psychologist.
  • Making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so they can help students with SEN in the school make the best possible progress.
  • Writing Learning Plans that specify the student’s targets.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with the student in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme so the student can make the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

The Subject Teacher is responsible for:

  • Making sure that all students have access to excellent classroom teaching (this is known as quality first teaching) and that the curriculum is adjusted to meet your child’s individual needs (this is called differentiation).
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and providing any additional help your child may need and letting SENCo know if necessary. This could be things like targeted work, additional support.
  • Following the Learning Plans produced by the SENCo. These will be shared and reviewing with parents at least once each term.
  • Planning for the student’s next term based on their progress.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the students they teach with any SEN.

The Teaching Assistants work with the class teacher to identify areas of support for students with SEN. They:

  • Support students to access the curriculum
  • Help to implementation of differentiation and specialist support strategies in the classroom
  • Keep students focused on learning activities during lesson
  • Attend all training opportunities related to SEN and differentiation.
  • Are mainly classroom based, however Higher Level Teaching Assistants are able to deliver specific SEN programmes outside of the classroom. They may also provide support during social time and unstructured parts of the day
  • Help students to develop effective ways of becoming independent learners
  • Pass on any concerns regarding progress/emotional and social development to the SENCo

The SEN Governor is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEN Policy
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all students in the school.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any student who attends the school, who has SEN.

Other members of staff that support students with SEN can be included in this section, for example, pastoral staff, learning mentors, home school liaison staff, Inclusion Manager, school counsellor, Attendance Manager, EWO, etc.


School staff are trained in specific areas where there is a current SEND. The Headteacher collects information on areas for development through appraisals and staff meetings and asks the appropriate professionals to deliver it as whole staff or individual training. Training is also provided for staff when students are admitted to school with a SEND that no-one in school has experience of. Managers of Literacy and Numeracy areas find appropriate specialist support training and enrol staff on courses.

Staff within school have different levels of expertise in order to support students with special educational needs:

  • Awareness – this is basic awareness of a particular type of SEN. All staff who come into contact with the student will have this level of training and it will be carried out by the SENCo, SENIT, Educational Psychologist or other specialist service.
  • Enhanced – this level of training will be carried out by staff working with the student regularly, such as class and subject teachers, and will focus on how teaching and learning can be adapted to meet the student’s needs. The training can be carried out by SENIT, Educational Psychologist, staff from special schools or other specialist services.
  • Specialist – this is in-depth training about a particular type of SEN for staff who will be advising staff who support students at an enhanced level. This could be a specialist SEN teacher or a SENCo if they had appropriate qualifications.