SEND Information


Transitions can be difficult for a student with SEN and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

Students with statements of special educational needs or Education, Health and Care Plan (Single Plans) will have a review in the Autumn term before they move to secondary school to discuss the transition. You will be told by 15 February of the year that they transfer which secondary school they will attend in September.

Before your child moves to Kingsmeadow School, staff from Kingsmeadow school will meet them. Whenever possible, we will arrange for your child to visit us to meet their new teachers and classmates. We will invite all parents to an open evening once their secondary placement has been allocated. We will also speak to parent/carers of children with a Single Plan/statement of SEN before their child begins at the school as they know their child better than we ever can. We will develop a personal transition plan for your child with their primary school and review staff training to ensure that staff teaching your child have a knowledge of their needs.

If your child is moving to another school we will contact the SENCo at the new school and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. We will also make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. Where possible your child will visit their new school before they start and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Information is available for all staff from the school’s computerised records so staff will be aware of your child’s needs if they move class. Students with a greater level of need are identified to all staff as appropriate.

Students also move to college or apprenticeships at the end of Year 11 or the end of Year 13. Students will have support from a Connexions Personal Adviser from Year 8 who will provide independent support and advice about Post 16 options. In some cases it may be suitable to use the support of Disabled Social Work Team to support the transition into adult services for the student.

Please note – if your child has a statement of special educational need or Single Plan they must have an annual review before they move to a new school.




All students receive excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all students in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This could involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies are in place to support your child to learn.
  • If your child’s teacher has decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning after carefully checking on your child’s progress they could receive some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Differentiated academic pathways at KS4, to include vocational qualifications as appropriate
  • Alternative education opportunities for learning outside of the school setting if appropriate
  • All students will get this level of support but other types of support are available for students with SEN:
  • Specific work with a small group of students. This type of support is available for any student who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and will be put in place if the SENCo or Head of Department thinks that they need extra support in school. The group, sometimes called Intervention groups by schools, may be:
    • Run in the classroom or outside.
    • Planned and overseen by a teacher but they are often run by a Teaching Assistant who has been trained to run the groups using the teacher’s plan.
    • Will work with specific targets to help your child make more progress. The targets will be identified in advance and need to be achieved within a specific time period, normally a term.
    • The progress made with the intervention is tracked and monitored closely to decide whether any additional support is needed for your child.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies

This type of support is available for students who are not making progress through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups and means they have been assessed as needing some extra specialist support in school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority services such as the SENIT, an Educational Psychologist or Behaviour Support Service.
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational Therapy, Emotional Wellbeing Team.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the SENCo as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked for permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional eg a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class eg some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional eg a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may give your child needs some individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.