Qualification: AQA GCSE Design and Technology (8552)
This is an option subject from 2016. It is made up of 50% exam and 50% non-exam assessment (NEA).
Year 9 – Year 10
Unit 1 – Exam: Written Paper. Worth 50% of the grade and lasts for 2 hours.
The exam will be made up as follows:
- Section A – Core technical principles (20 marks)
- A mixture of multiple choice and short answer questions assessing a breadth of technical knowledge and understanding.
- Section B – Specialist technical principles (30 marks)
- Several short answer questions (2–5 marks) and one extended response to assess a more in depth knowledge of technical principles.
- Section C – Designing and making principles (50 marks)
- A mixture of short answer and extended response questions.
Unit 2 – Non Exam Assessment (NEA): Design and Make Task. Worth 50% of the grade and lasts for 30-35 hours of supervised time.
The NEA will be made up as follows:
- Substantial design and make task
- Identifying and investigating design possibilities
- Producing a design brief and specification
- Generating design ideas
- Developing design ideas (including modelling)
- Manufacture of design ideas
- Analysing and evaluating
- The task will be released to schools on 1 June in the year before the submission of the NEA.
- Students will produce a prototype and a portfolio of evidence.
- Work will be marked by teachers and moderated by the exam board.
Students will be graded from 9-1.