Product Design

Year 9

Students in Year 9 will start their first year of the GCSE course and take part in two hours of product design a week. They will approach the following skills:

1. Enhance design and development skills through a variety of techniques.
2. Develop their knowledge and experience using CAD/CAM.
3. Develop practical skills in the workshop.
4. Understand properties and functions of a variety of materials.
5. Learn how to produce a quality product.
6. To have a good understanding of the design process.

Students are prepared for their controlled assessment, which is worth 60% of their overall mark, and the two hour examination, which makes up the other 40%.

Year 10

Students in Year 10 will start their second year of the GCSE course and take part in two hours of product design a week. Students will approach the following skills:

1. Enhance design and development skills through a variety of techniques.
2. Develop their knowledge and experience using CAD/CAM.
3. Develop practical skills in the workshop.
4. Understand properties and functions of a variety of materials.
5. Learn how to produce a quality product.
6. To have a good understanding of the design process.

Students are prepared for their controlled assessment, which is worth 60% of their overall mark, and the two hour examination, which makes up the other 40%.

Students will start their controlled assessment in year 10, which will be based around a set tas from the exam board.

Year 11

Students in Year 11 will continue with their GCSE course and take part in two hours of product design a week. Students will approach the following skills:

1. Enhance design and development skills through a variety of techniques.
2. Develop their knowledge and experience using CAD/CAM.
3. Develop practical skills in the workshop.
4. Understand properties and functions of a variety of materials.
5. Learn how to produce a quality product.
6. To have a good understanding of the design process.

Students will complete their controlled assessment in Year 11, which will be based around a set task from the exam board.

Students are prepared for their controlled assessment, which is worth 60% of their overall mark, and the two hour examination, which makes up the other 40%