Engineering

Year 9

Students in Year 9 will start the first year of their BTEC course. Students will spend the year developing their skills. They will learn the following:

1. How to develop a product.
2. To understand the properties of metals and plastics.
3. To understand how to develop a product specification.
4. To understand the basics of electronics and how to create a circuit.

They will study four different units within their BTEC.
Unit 1: Exam (the engineered world).
Unit 2: To investigate an engineered product.
Unit 3: Health and safety in Engineering.
Unit 6: Computer aided engineering.

The exam will be an online exam that is worth 25% of the overall grade. The other units will make up the other 75% of the grade.

Students will be graded at Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction *, Level 1 and Unclassified.

Year 10

Students in Year 10 will start the second year of their BTEC course. Students will spend the year completing theory work towards the exam and the rest of the time on their assignments.

Students will study four different units within their BTEC.
Unit 1: exam (the engineered world).
Unit 2: to investigate an engineered product.
Unit 3: health and safety in engineering.
Unit 6: computer aided engineering.

The exam will be an online exam that is worth 25% of the overall grade. The other units will make up the other 75% of the grade.

Year 11

Students in Year 11 will continue with their BTEC course. Students will spend the year completing theory work towards the exam and the rest of the time on their assignments.

They will study four different units within their BTEC:
Unit 1: the engineered world (examination),
Unit 2: to investigate an engineered product,
Unit 3: health and safety in engineering,
Unit 6: computer aided engineering.

The examination is worth 25% of the overall grade. The other units will make up the other 75% of the grade.

Year 12

Students in Year 12 will study three units of work which will make up their total qualification.

Unit 1 – health and safety
Unit 10 – material properties
Unit 16 – drawing for technicians

Each of these units will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction.

Year 13

Students in Year 13 will study three units of work which will make up their total qualification.

Unit 6 – Electrical and electronic principles
Unit 4 – Mathematics for engineering technicians
Unit 31 – CAD/CAM

Each of these units will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction.